Keeping Your Skin Looking Younger
Wrinkles are something that we can't prevent and will face sooner or later. Everyone's face develops wrinkles as they get older, while genetics may play a crucial role in your skin's aging process. With time, our face loses fullness, and we also lose elasticity. Also, did you know that we lose 1% of collagen each year as we get older? It means that you should invest more time & care in your skin maintenance as you age. Both environmental factors and individual decisions can cause aging.
Keep reading to learn about what you can do and how to prevent it.
Why do We Have Wrinkles?
Wrinkles may seem to sprout out of nowhere, but their onset is a gradual process triggered by internal and external factors (such as aging and UV light exposure).
A loss of elastin and collagen causes the skin to lose its suppleness and allows for the formation of wrinkles.
Wrinkles can appear early and in our mid-20s due to the effects of environmental factors.
Frowning and smiling induce grooves to form in the muscles just beneath the surface of the skin. Wrinkles know no age or gender, meaning you can develop them sooner or later in your lifetime.
How to Prevent Wrinkles: Top 4 Key Steps
1. Protect Yourself From the Sun
It is well known that exposure to the sun's rays can speed up the aging process and lead to wrinkles; this is why an SPF 30 is recommended to protect skin from the Sun. Even on cloudy days, you should wear sunscreen to shield your skin from the sun's damaging ultraviolet (UV) radiation. Also, avoid tanning beds & sunbathing if you wish to look young, radiant & wrinkle-free.
2. Moisturize the Skin
When it comes to wrinkle prevention, it is vital that you don't saturate your skin with strong fragrances and chemicals.
According to many dermatologists worldwide, inflammation causes dryness and more damage to our outer layers.
Instead, try using a moisturizer with ceramides and alpha-hydroxy acids (AHAs) to rejuvenate your skin and soften it. You should also book regular facial treatments to nourish & hydrate the skin.
3. Stop Stressing (Both Yourself & Your Skin)
Stress is the number one trigger for a plethora of health concerns. Try to avoid it by meditating & yoga. You should also never go to bed with makeup since this can lead to premature aging. Your body releases the hormone cortisol when you're under a lot of pressure, which causes changes to your skin.
When stress makes the skin lose its capacity to retain water, the skin's protective skin barrier weakens, and wrinkle production is triggered. Deep breaths & scented candles will do wonders in this case.
4. Drink Water and Watch Your Diet
If you're thinking about how to prevent wrinkles, you'll want to get enough water in your diet; it is essential for good health and skin texture. Water may keep your skin healthy and hydrated from the inside out, in addition to its many other functions. Aim for 2 liters a day (at least), and you'll notice a major transformation in your texture.
Consuming a diet high in healthy fats like olive oil, avocado, and almonds will do wonders. Lean proteins and vegetables high in antioxidants are excellent for your skin; this is a must-do for a wrinkle-free radiant complexion.
What to Do If You Already Have Wrinkles?
Sometimes you might be on the lookout for a quick & easy solution. If you're in your 40s or older, you may want some drastic changes or touch-ups. In skin maintenance, you can:
- Switch up your Skincare Products - Invest in anti-aging skincare. You can also ask your dermatologist for a medically-based solution. In most cases, neuropeptide-containing serums and treatments can improve skin health and reduce fine lines and wrinkles.
- Aim for Hyaluronic Acid - This should be the main ingredient in most products. You can also go for hexapeptide (which enhances elasticity) and squalane (which helps skin resist future wrinkles).
- Retinol is Another Key Ingredient That Your Skin Will Love - This especially applies to women in their forties. If you switch out just a few of your regular skincare products for targeted anti-aging ones, you may be pleasantly surprised by the results.
- Try Out Laser Treatments, Chemical Peels, or Fillers Performed by a Dermatologist - All of these can give you quick & instant results. You can also consider doing botox if you're trying to change and repair your skin. For those who are impatient - this might be the best solution, as well as a long-lasting one. If you want permanent press - this is it.
So, are you ready to combat those persistent & annoying wrinkles?